Top | Keri Fisher
(recipe, Keri Fisher)
Serve this classic Spanish sauce from Catalonia with meat or fish, spread on crusty bread, tossed with linguine, or with roasted potatoes.
- 1 slice hearty white bread
- ¼ cup slivered almonds
- 1 small tomato, peeled and seeded
- 3 large red bell peppers, roasted, peeled, and seeded, or 2 cups jarred roasted red peppers, drained, rinsed, and patted dry
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 Tbsp. red-wine vinegar
- 2 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- ¼ tsp. cayenne pepper
- Salt and black pepper
- Break up the bread in small pieces and place in a dry skillet with the almonds. Toast over medium heat, stirring often, until fragrant and golden brown, 2 to 3 minutes. (Alternately, place almonds and bread in food processor and process until finely ground, about 10 seconds, before transferring to the skillet for toasting.)
- Put the toasted almonds and bread in the food processor, add the remaining ingredients, and process until smooth, about 30 seconds. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.
Check out Keri Fisher's article on easy summertime sauces.